STAMP PHILATELY
Jersey - 50th Anniversary of Jersey Airport (1987)
shahirasul
67
23-June-2014 06:16:53 AM
23-June-2014 04:41:13 PM
GENERAL INFORMATION
Country
Jersey
Type
Stamp (Complete Set)
Class
Commemorative
Issued Date
03/03/1987
Printing Method
Lithography
Gum
Gum
Perforation Gauge
14
Perforation Type
Normal Perforations
IN COLLECTION CONDITION
Preliminary
Normal
Condition
Mint Never Hinged - Extra Fine
CATALOG INFORMATION
418
Scott Standard Postage Stamp Catalog
419
Scott Standard Postage Stamp Catalog
420
Scott Standard Postage Stamp Catalog
421
Scott Standard Postage Stamp Catalog
422
Scott Standard Postage Stamp Catalog
Jersey - 50th Anniversary of Jersey Airport (1987)
10p DH86 Belcroute Bay 313,733
14p Boeing 757 and Douglas DC-9 281,226
22p Britten Norman Long Nose Trislander and islander 368,486
29p Short SD330 and Vickers Discount 800 155,159
31p  BAC One eleven 500 and Handley Page HPR7 Dart Herald 167,709


Jersey Airport (IATA: JER, ICAO: EGJJ) is located in the parish of Saint Peter, 4 NM (7.4 km; 4.6 mi) west northwest of Saint Helier in Jersey, in the Channel Islands.

Air service to Jersey before 1937 consisted of biplane airliners and some seaplanes landing on the beach at Saint Aubin bay. Jersey Airways and Imperial Airways were among those who operated to the island before the Second World War, but conditions were difficult as timetables were governed by tides. It was also difficult to prevent members of the public from walking across the landing area, and any aircraft which had mechanical problems had to be dragged up the slipways until the tide receded.

The States of Jersey decided to build an airport which opened on 10 March 1937 with four grass runways, the longest being 2,940 ft (896 m) with a concrete centreline. Concrete taxiways were added during the World War II occupation by the Luftwaffe – they also built hangars, one of which, the Jersey Airlines hangar, is still in existence although no longer used. A 4,200 ft (1,280 m) tarmac runway was opened in 1952 and the grass strips were closed. A feature of the airport in the 1950s was the traffic control system – traffic-lights were in place to prevent vehicles using the road fromLes Quennevais to the Airport when planes were being moved to or from the hangar used by B.E.A.
COMMENTS
NEW COMMENT
The following text must accompany any text or photo taken from this page and limited use for non-commercial purposes only.
Texts and Images were taken from and courtesy of Exonumi.com
URL: http://www.exonumi.com/publish-SP.1.823
Disclaimer : Exonumi does not responsible to verify the information and therefore has no legal standing. Visitors are encouraged to take precaution and do own's due diligence study before relying on the provided information.